Okay ladies and . . . more ladies. This is it, the big finale. I’ve had a blast sharing and creating for you all this week. I cannot stress that enough. Just had so much fun. I have to thank Joy and Melanie for having me one more time.
My last project to share with you all is a 3D/altered Halloween project. Some of the ladies at My Creative Time have been doing these kinds of things for a while, but as I mentioned, my passion is cardmaking. Anyway, I present to you all what I’ve dubbed, 1031 Candy Corn Lane:
Oh my, I don’t even know where to start! The house itself, I bought from Hob Lob. There are three sizes, and I got the medium size. The very first thing I did was paint the roof and the eaves of the house. I used Black Forest Green by Americana. I knew I was going to cover the front portion of the roof with Pinefeather Vintage Buttons, so that’s why I painted it green. Love this color and I have more than enough to do another Halloween house and some Christmas houses.
Next, I covered the house with my patterned paper. I bought both papers at Hob Lob. The black & cream is by Paper Studio, and the orange and yellow dot is My Mind’s Eye. I coated the house and the pieces of paper with Mod Podge and adhered them. I used my heat tool to speed up the drying process. Then, I used my Basic Grey Precision tools to clean up the windows and doors on the front of the house. The sides do have windows, but frankly that is the most time consuming part, and it’s messy. However, I left the sides covered intentionally. I painted over the patterned paper with Folk Art Vintage White paint. I watered it down because I didn’t want to completely cover the patterns. I just wanted to create a whitewashed – vintage look.
The next thing I did was create the scalloped siding under the eaves with my Fiskars Scallop Sentiment punch. I used Butternut Cream cardstock by Core’dinations. This was something I had it my stash, and I liked that it had texture. I started at the bottom and worked my way up. The first strip went across the entire roof, the others I cut as I went. There are no exact measurements here. The only guideline is that I tried to keep the width to 3/4.” I adhered the strips with Mod Podge. When I reached the apex, I actually used a small heart punch because it fit perfectly. My punch is by The Paper Studio. I added scalloped borders under the eaves on the side as well. Lastly, I used some craft pearls to covered the seams. Not really necessary, but it’s all in the details.
The roof, the roof is on fire . . . no, not really, but you have to have patience on this part. Buttons are great because they come in all shapes and sizes, as you can see above. I did a rough layout, but honestly, I just took my glue gun and started adhering buttons. For the back, I used Pinefeather Cardstock and I punched 1” circles with my Fiskars punch. I basically started at the bottom and ran a line of hot glue and started placing circles, slightly overlapping them. You’re not adhering the entire circle, just the top half, this will allow you to”curl” the tiles when you’re finished. When you reach the peak of the roof, adhere circles that have been folded in half. Gives it a finished look. When I covered the roof and curled my tiles, I sprayed it with Krylon adhesive and dusted it with Doodlebug Lilywhite Sugar Coating & Martha Stewart Hematite. Sparkles like a rock on a rich ladies’ finger doesn’t it? My obsession with glitter will not be stopped!
The next thing was embellishing the house, basically the finishing touches. I added the picket fence, and I pulled out some of the posts. I glued some of them back on to make it look like they fell. I cut the ghost from Simply Charmed and I stamped his face with a Peachy Keen face. The set I used is Everyday Character Assortment. He’s inked with Pool Party ink from Stampin’ Up, and his cheekers are Regal Rose. Generally, I am not into cutesy, but I think it was appropriate here. Isn’t he cute? My pumpkins are from Create A Critter, and again, I hid the smiling face with my Gypsy. To give them some definition I inked the edges with Tea Dye and Walnut Stain Distress Inks.
I wanted it to look like hay was on the ground, so I took some shredded packaging and glued it here and there. Making sure to pull it through the fence. My favorite candy EVER is candy corn, so I decorated the posts with some embellies I found at Hob Lob. On the front corner post, I used more harlequin ribbon and tied some double bows, and I placed candy corn in the centers. I have no idea what to call the things I put on the roof, but I thought they were cute, so I went with it. Let’s just call them orange halo balls.
Very last thing, flickering tea lights on the inside. It makes for a nice subtle glow.
I know this is like a marathon post and I tried to be concise as possible. If there is anything you want to know, by all means, shoot me an email. I don’t mind! Thank you all for welcoming me this week. Have an amazingly blessed weekend!
Be sure and check out Joy's and Melanie's personal blogs for more creative goodness at Obsessed with Scrapbooking and Courtney Lane Designs! Click HERE to learn how to leave comments.
Click HERE to learn how to find OVER 600 project ideas on this site! Have a great day!
Subscribe to Everyday Cricut to learn more about ways to use the Cricut in your cardmaking and scrapbooking!